The first question any given technician is faced with when meeting a future client… how long does scalp micropigmentation take? And it’s a relatively complex one to answer. There is no written rule that SMP treatments, from start to finish, will take a certain number of hours, days or weeks. It depends on a multitude of different factors.
Realizing the above is all a little bit vague, let’s try to tack things down a little. What are the rough timescales involved in SMP and what are those multitudes of factors.
How long does SMP take and what influences the time estimations?
- A regular scalp micropigmentation treatment session will last anything from 2 to 5 hours from start to finish. This is a timescale that really does vary. Some clients have a skin type that’s much more complex to work alongside, others may be super simple and quick.
- A minimum treatment number should be no less than 2 in any given clinic. Unless, of course, you’ve already received prior SMP treatment and are just after a top-up owing to fading due to time which has passed.
- Maximum numbers are more variable, depending on the reasons you’ve chosen scalp micropigmentation treatment. An average of 3 with a 4th for a final “polish off the edges stage” is a good rule of thumb to work to.
- Aftercare routines are very important as they ensure the longevity of your SMP treatment. It’s a good idea to introduce these into your schedule and think of them as part of the treatment plan.
- Finally, the all-important point which will determine your length of time for SMP treatment is why you are looking to receive it in the first place. Scar concealments are way more complex than working on a patient for diffuse thinning. Pattern baldness is different from alopecia as men’s hair problems are not the same as female hair loss.
If you are just starting on your hair restoration journey, you’ll quickly realize the process starts with an initial consultation to evaluate current and future hair loss. This is done on the Norwood Scale for men or Ludwig for women. These scales are the classification system for evaluating the extent of loss and are known the world over. In addition to this, any trained and experienced technician will also be able to provide a pretty accurate prediction for future loss. Thereafter, if you now ask the question, how long does scalp micropigmentation take, you can be given a better idea.
Scalp micropigmentation is an innovative, non-invasive treatment that produces really quick results. The procedure is certainly not as time-consuming to administer as a hair transplant and recovery times are swift if you consider the overall picture. It doesn’t involve the waiting game as is the case for medicated solutions for promoting hair growth and with SMP, you’ll see a result immediately.
So let’s just go back to the original question for a small minute, how long does scalp micropigmentation take? And in real terms, if you come into the clinic or reach out to us here and send an email we’ll soon be able to tell you – but always remember, it does depend on the all-important and mentioned factors.